I imagine that some of our readers are wondering what we carry on our thru hike. So I made a list of everything as I got it together Saturday and Sunday. The list only includes gear I'm starting with, it doesn't include specialty items that will be needed later on the trail such as my CampUSA Corsica ice axe or my BearVault bear canister. Booboo's gear is pretty similar to mine. It might be a different manufacturer, but provides the same function. Her luxury items are different from mine as well.
A couple general points: we carry roughly 40 lbs with 5 days food and 5 Liters of water, we share a tent and a stove to reduce weight, we'll also share my water filter while Booboo carries a chemical treatment as backup.
Booboo will carry some of my gear, to even out the weight, since I'm carrying the tent.
All right here's the list:
1. Backpack - ULA Catalyst
2. Tent - Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo 3. Sleeping bag - Western Mountaineering Ultralite 20°
4. Sleeping pad - Thermarest Neoair
5. Sleeping bag liner - Sea to Summit Silk Liner
6. Ground Cloth - Old fashioned Tyvek 7. Shoes - North Face Hedgehogs (not how I got my Trail Name)
8. Socks (3) - Darn Tough
9. S/S Wicking Tshirt - REI
10. L/S Wicking Sun shirt - ExOfficio AirStrip
11. Convertable Wicking Pants (2) - REI Sahara
12. Bandanas (3)
13. Sunglasses - Prescription
14. Sun Hat - Tilley
15. Thermal underwear - Patagonia Capilene 2
16. Fleece Hat
17. Midweight Gloves - Marmot
18. Rain Jacket - Marmot
19. Rain cover for Pack - ULA
20. Pack liner/Sleeping pad inflator - NeoAir
21. Stove - Caldera Alcohol Stove (BB will carry)
22. Pot - MSR TI Kettle (BB will carry for me)
23. Cup - MSR TI Cup (BB will carry for me)
24. Knife - Benchmade 530
25. Water Bladder - Camelback 2L
26. Headlamp - Black Diamond Storm 27. Hiking Poles - Black Diamond Trail 28. Rope
29. Compass - Suunto M2
30. Bug Head net - Sea to Summit
31. First Aid Kit
32. Toiletries Bag
33. Duct tape
35. Cellphone - Samsung Galaxy Note 2 36. Camera - Lumix Weatherproof
37. Prescription glasses
38. Maps/guidebooks - Assorted (BB will carry)
40. SPOT messaging system
41. Watch - Timex Expedition
Sorry for the delsy in posting it as bren a couple of hectic days getting ready for our start today (April 17).
A picture of the Olympic Mountains yesterday on our way to the airport in Seattle.
We were hosted by "Pinhead" and Barbara in SoCal last night. Their hospitality and generosity were excellent and very much appreciated. Thank You!
A quick Starbucks stop this morning before our hour drive to the Southern Terminus and our start.
We're super excited. We'll be in touch soon.
HH and BB